Many members want to support UC Berkeley’s students and programs. The University Section Club offers several ways to help either financially or through volunteer service.
Support for Students
All recipients of grants are referred to the University Section Club by our network of campus liaisons who are involved with student health, disabled students, student parents, and those who have recently transferred to UC Berkeley or are reentering school following a hiatus.
- Student Grants support individual students in need.
- Services Offered Students (SOS) support student groups and programs.
- SOS also oversees the Sylvia Elberg Fund which is a source of emergency grants to students with a medical or financial crisis.
Opportunities to Volunteer for Students
- The Centre at the YWCA Berkeley offers programs and resources that help international students and scholars and their families (including children) meet people and become comfortable at Cal. Volunteers may bring their small children. Thursdays, 10 a.m.-noon, (see calendar for closed dates), 2600 Bancroft Way.
- Monthly orientations at the International House and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory cover important immigration matters, campus and community services, and other critical issues for new arrivals.
- The Beehive Luncheon and Silent Auction, our yearly fundraiser, always needs volunteers.
- To volunteer, email and we will be more than happy to contact you.
University YWCA, 2600 Bancroft Way, Berkeley CA 94720
Welcome to Cal, to Berkeley and to The Centre, sponsored by the International Student and Scholar Committee (ISSC) of the University Section Club. ISSC is made up of UC Berkeley faculty wives and community women who are dedicated to helping international students and scholars and their families adjust to a new environment and to make their stay easy and comfortable.
The Centre meets on Thursday mornings from 9:30am to noon at the University YWCA at 2600 Bancroft Way. It provides an opportunity free of charge to meet other international visitors to Berkeley and members of our club who volunteer at The Centre. At 10:30am during the Fall and Spring Semesters The Centre features a special program, followed by time to socialize and make friends, with coffee, tea and other refreshments. Special field trips to points of interest are offered during the year (you are responsible for your own travel costs), as well as small discussion groups. After a break at the end of spring semester, summer meetings begin again on Thursdays from 10am to noon.
Parents are encouraged to bring their young children. You can meet other parents at the children’s play area. Parents are responsible for their own children. Since The Centre is organized and staffed entirely by volunteers, we encourage you to volunteer in any of the many areas that create a successful Centre. This program at the YWCA is supported by the University Section Club at no cost to participants.
We recognize that this is a busy time for you and that settling down in a new place has its difficulties. You may have questions ranging from where to shop for special foods to how and where to send your kids to school. You may want to improve your language skills or find new activities. The Centre is a resource to support you during your visit and to help you enjoy the cultural and recreational resources in Berkeley and California. Do join us. We look forward to meeting you.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at